Saturday, January 23, 2010

Jan. 1986

Since it's the beginning of a new year, and has been quite some time that I've contributed to this journal, guess I'll add a bit to it.
Walter has been retired for a little over 2 years, and enjoying it very much. he keeps quite busy with his hobby of helping out at the Senior Center. Is on the Board of Directors and delivers surplus gov't cheese, flour, rice, etc. to shutins from time to time. We've now lived in our house for twenty years, so repair projects also show up. Sandee, our cocker spaniel takes us on a two mile brisk walk on the beach almost every morning, and I continue with my tap dancing class once a week, for exercise. We have a 22 ft. 5th. wheel trailer which we hoop up occasionally "and hit the road". Last September we traveled to Colorado to attend the glider pilot reunion, and afterwards went up to Evergreen for a short visit with Kaaren and Dick, where they have lived for the past few years. James is not 14, and Shannon will be 12 this year. In November we trailered down to Pomona to attend our 46th. high school class reunion. Then, afterwards, a quick trip down to see Carolyn and Jack at their ranch near Escondido.
On November 21, another little grandchild arrived. Kyra is No. 7, and the third offspring for Kathy and Kevin. Brings our score up to four boys and three girls, every one a joy.
On last April 30 my world was shattered when Mother passed away suddenly, and so unexpected. I know I should have been somewhat prepared, since she was 86, and definitely slowing down, especially the past year. She had been feeling ill for two, or three days, but was up and around. Had gone out to dinner with us on Sun., as usual, but ate very little. I talked to her twice on the phone Monday, and on the second call reported feeling a little better. On Tuesday morning when I drove over there to take her shopping I knew something was amiss when I noticed her drapes were still closed, and the door still bolted. I rushed next door to use their phone to call Walter to come and cut the chain lock on the door. He arrived, and when we entered found Mother in bed looking as if she was peacefully asleep, but obviously had gone to join Harv several hours before. I still miss her terribly, and will continue to for the rest of my life. Not only was she a wonderful Mother, but a best friend. She had so many qualities that I admired; a wonderful attitude, making it a pleasure to be around her. I know the past 6 1/2 years have been very lonely, and not too happy for her, since Harv passed away, but she tried to hard not to feel too sorry for herself, and therefore make life a burden for those around her. I'm grateful that I could enjoy the good fortune of having a Mother close by well into my 60's, and especially happy she left so peacefully without having to endure a debilitating illness and confinement in a hospital, or rest home, as that was her greatest fear. So, my grief has been much easier to bare realizing that not only she left just the way she would want, but was spared the misery of watching that dear life suffer. I'm so grateful to our Heavenly Father for blessing us so much.

No comments: