Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chapter 3 "Mother's Three Cures"

My Mother's treatment of any illness that might befall any member of the family was simple and uncomplicated. For the usual mumps, measles, chicken pox, or just stomach upsets, when appetites lagged, the sure cure was MILK TOAST. Now, for most patients that wasn't too bad, but since I couldn't tolerate milk, even as a baby, it was pretty close to torture for me. She would toast a slice of bread, butter it, and put it in the bottom of a bowl where it was drowned with hot milk. She convinced me that I'd be up and around in no time if I consumed every drop, so I'd hold my breath just long enough to gobble it down.
If we had a cold, the treatment consisted of getting a chest rub with gobs of Musterole, then a flannel cloth was pinned inside our pajamas for added warmth, and to keep the greasy stuff off the bedclothes. Now, I don't have anything against the smell of garlic, in its' place, but never learned to like being overwhelmed by the odor all night, for the duration of the cold. Our children certainly had their chests rubbed with Vicks on numerous occasions, but I never had the inclination to try the Musterole cure because of that memory.
If we were unfortunate enough to be ill for more than a day, then the castor oil bottle was retrieved from the cupboard, and we were treated to the ultimate cure. That was a real test of breath-holding, for not only did the castor oil have to be choked down, but had to be followed by a glass of orange juice, before taking a breath, to escape most of that terrible taste.
Well, there you have Mother's three sure cures. Needless to say, our medicine cabinet was far from being over crowded, and I might mention that I never entertained the thought of pretending illness in order to stay home from school! Probably showed up at school on a few occasions when my germs went home with the other kids, as well. How else can you explain the report cards, that repose in my cedar chest, which shows perfect attendance for several years during the elementary years? There's something to be said for Mother's cures, after all.

No comments: